Job Description: Family Support Therapist
Job Summary: Responsible for providing therapy and crisis intervention to residents and graduates of Amethyst Place, a program serving high-risk, low-income families.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess bio/psycho/social/emotional needs of each family member using standardized, tools to inform treatment plans. Provide therapeutic interventions structured to address mental health needs, improve the capacities of our children and their mothers to cope with persistent stress, encourage positive parenting, increase attachment between parent and child, and promote healthy family functioning.
- Utilize the following evidence-based programs and practices: psychosocial interventions for persons with dual diagnoses, motivational interviewing, cognitive-behavioral therapy, contingency management, relapse prevention, case management, skills training, Theraplay and play therapy.
- Integrate knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices and seek to actively resist re-traumatization.
- Provide group therapy for adults and children to focus on therapeutic needs, help facilitate community relationships, and allow for increased psychoeducation.
- Apply interventions that encourage positive parent-child interaction, improve understanding of appropriate expectations based on child development and promote protective factors known to reduce the risk of child abuse and neglect.
- Maintain client files and case notes for Amethyst Place families and graduates.
- Assist clients in obtaining resources for services outside of Amethyst Place to aid in their care (psychiatric assessments or medical assessments)
- Attend necessary meetings with treatment teams to offer support for client (PPRT meetings, school IEP meetings, court hearings)
- Work with diverse individuals, exercise discretion and maintain client confidentiality, and work closely with the Executive Director and the treatment teams to ensure needs of the clients are met.
- Plan and attend community events to help foster relationships among the residents of Amethyst Place.
Job Qualifications: Masters level, licensed mental health professional. Preferred three years experience providing family and child therapy and working with addiction and trauma. The ideal candidate will have excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills and must be willing to work evenings to accommodate schedules of families.
Submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org